Author Topic: DVD movie play hangs  (Read 5120 times)

Offline al3858

• BCC n00b
    • View Profile
DVD movie play hangs
« on: February 13, 2004, 10:17:24 PM »
There is no rhyme or reason to when the DVD play locks. The movie will play fine... it may be for an hour or a minute... but then it will studder and then lock up.

I found a firmware update for my DVD burner, installed it. There are no updates to the player software (Sonic Cineplayer) as of my version. The hang ups happen with PowerDVD as well.

Sonic hardware acceleration is off. DMA set to 'if available'. I usually have the resolution set to 1280x960 @72Hz, but the Sonic suggested that I run in 1024x768 @75Hz. Anti-virus software is shut down, as is pop-up blocker and anti-spyware.

When froze, I open Task Manager and there is little CPU useage (4 or 5%) and the PFs look normal @ 130-140 MB.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where I can look to solve this prob?

System:
Win XP Pro Sp1 ver 2002
Athlon 1.4Ghz
768 MB PC2100
MSI 6380 LE mobo
Gainward GF4 4200 64MB (no oc)
1024x768 @ 75Hz
SB Live 5.1
Nu DDW081 DVDR/RW

TIA,
Chuck
Pilot reported to mechanic that radio would not work in OFF mode.

Mechanic reported to Maintenance Chief Remove/Replace pilot, radio checked OK.

Offline Zeus

• I AM Canadian!
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • [S]odbuster
    • View Profile
    • BCCHardware
Re:DVD movie play hangs
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2004, 06:05:43 AM »
That's weird stuff.  The first thing I'd check is the firmware revision.  If you have nero installed, you can find out what firmware revision you are using by running the Nero Info Tool. . . If you don't have it, you can get the tool here.

There have been several firmwares for that drive - some of them very beta, so I'd recommend getting the latest one - bx31 over here.

If that is the firmware revision you're running, I'd also make sure that your DVD drive isn't getting too hot.  I've know drives to quit working when they've overheated.

I hope this helps a bit, if not let us know.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2004, 06:06:14 AM by Zeus »

Offline Nicao

• Mmm . . . Linux. . .
  • BCC Admin
  • Case Whacker
  • Linux Rocks
    • View Profile
    • S.L.A.G.D.
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2004, 07:05:52 AM »
You need to determine if it is the system, or the dvd player that is causing the hangs.  Go look for a program like smartripper to extract the contents of your dvd to the hard disk and try playing it from there.
Life is a toilet.  As soon as you get caught up, someone flushes you again.

Offline al3858

• BCC n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2004, 07:30:40 PM »
Zeus,
I've updated the DVD firmware, the version I have is Bx32. I did that the day I installed. Also the drive is not getting hot at all.

Since I posted, I've removed the DVD drive and my CD Burner (Lite-on48x) and switched places so that the DVD is the secondary device IDE on my primary IDE channel and the Lite-on is the secondary device on my secondary channel. Both IDE channels have hard drives as the primary devices. This has to be tested a little more. Valentine's Day has taken up most of my testing time!  ;D

~~~~~

Nicao,
I don't use Nero on the DVD. I use Nero with my Lite-on drive though. Nu DVDs ship with Sonic... which I hate, so far. Sonic has given absolutely no support for their software what so ever! Nu blames Sonic... Sonic gives no reply. I thought Sonic was a division of Roxio/Adaptec. And that is not like Adaptec at all. However, I have PowerDVD as well and it gave the same results.

~~~~~

I really appreciate both replies. It is so sad that the company that distributes the software does not give as much as those people like you that get no money from it at all, just the occiasional verbal pat on the back! Thank you.

Like I said, I have not tested the new configuration yet. I will tomorrow, and I will know much more then. I will be back to let you know what comes of it.

Thanks again!
Pilot reported to mechanic that radio would not work in OFF mode.

Mechanic reported to Maintenance Chief Remove/Replace pilot, radio checked OK.

Offline VE6JHC

• Case Whacker
  • Heat Removal by H20
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2004, 10:56:05 PM »
I have always run HD together on the Primary channel and then run the CD/DVD drives on the secondary channel. I'm not sure if it applys anymore but in the old days hooking a CD drive to the same channel as a HD slowed the performace of the HD way down. As a troubleshooting tip why not run the DVD on the secondary channel all by itself (Move both HD to the Primary channel and leave the other optical drive disconnected for testing).
Video Games will send you straight to Hell and Satan has a Rail Gun!