Author Topic: GDDR3 have anyone seen on a video card yet?  (Read 3291 times)

Offline MaraudingDemon

• Case Whacker
  • I'm a MaraudingDemon!
    • View Profile
GDDR3 have anyone seen on a video card yet?
« on: March 15, 2004, 05:03:05 PM »
I have found some info on the ram but not the actaul video card yet.

"Nvidia has signed Samsung to provide its graphics card partners with Graphics DDR 3 SDRAM for inclusion in their 128MB GeForce FX 5700 Ultra-based boards. Products using the memory technology will ship this month.

GDDR 3 runs at up to around 1.5 times the speed of GDDR 2 yet consumes half the power, thanks to a lower operating voltage: 1.8V compared to 2.5V. GDDR 3 provides an aggregate bandwidth of 6.4GBps per device, thanks to a 1.6Gbps per pin data rate. It clocks between 600MHz and 800MHz.

GDDR 3 was initially developed by Nvidia's arch-rival, ATI. Nvidia claims the new GeForce FX 5700 Ultra-based boards are the first products to market to support GDDR 3."

Either ATI or Nvidia should be interesting.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2004, 05:03:23 PM by MaraudingDemon »

Offline Zeus

• I AM Canadian!
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • [S]odbuster
    • View Profile
    • BCCHardware
Re:GDDR3 have anyone seen on a video card yet?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2004, 06:23:44 PM »
If the RAM is actually spec'd that much different, I would imagine that they would come up with a new model name for the GPU's.  I can't really see either company providing a superior clocked/performing product and selling it for the same price.

Enter the world of nVidia's GFFX 5775Ultra, and the 5975Ultra, and ATi's 9600XT Ultra, 9800XT Ultra.

. . . just guessing here . . .