Author Topic: Plextor PX-M402U (ConvertX2) Review!  (Read 11230 times)

Offline Zeus

• I AM Canadian!
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • [S]odbuster
    • View Profile
    • BCCHardware
Plextor PX-M402U (ConvertX2) Review!
« on: April 07, 2004, 12:30:22 PM »
I've just posted up a review of the follow up to Plextor's first video capture device.  The unit on the bench is the PX-M402U ConvertX2.  It sports a better software bundle, as well as currently being the only DivX Networks certified hardware encoder.  To see if it's your bag, head on over here to catch the reivew.  In the meantime, here's a clip:

Plextor's big claim to fame with this device is that the hardware and software are certified by DivX Networks. This is a big bonus as they are the only certified DivX encoding hardware around. Kudos to Plextor. The big question is, does it work, and does it look good? Answer: Heck yeah, baby! but we're getting ahead of ourselves. . .

Please post any feedback regarding this review right here.  Thanks!

Offline andreligreen

• BCC n00b
    • View Profile
Re: Plextor PX-M402U (ConvertX2) Review!
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2004, 12:31:32 PM »
I tried the M402U on an Asus A7V266 with XP2100+ and 521MB Ram and 160GB raid and USB2 (VIA chipset), win XP pro all updates and on all caprute settings got an increasing audio lag as the capture progressed even with the latest m402u driver off the plextor web site. Has anyone else had this problem or managed to fix it. I thought a HW encoder would not have this problem. Firewire capture is fine. ??? Email li-green4@yahoo.com, thanks.

Offline Zeus

• I AM Canadian!
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • [S]odbuster
    • View Profile
    • BCCHardware
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2004, 07:54:10 PM »
That's strange.  I've captured over 2 hours into a single file, both DVDHQ, and MPEG4. . . both worked flawlessly.  No lag, although one massive file.

Offline earthslash

• BCC n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2004, 03:01:24 AM »
Nice review of the PX-m402U. I'm new to the forum.. ran across this site when looking for info about the ConvertX2 on another forum.  Anywho, I have a couple questions if you don't mind... on other forums people have talked about this but given inadequate answers, and not really addressed what I was hoping for, and I didn't want to get flamed, but this seems like a friendly place.

First off, does it really take a long time to render files, like if you take something from a VHS tape and want to get rid of the commercials or add text, then you have to go through the rendering process.  I've read in another review it can be quite time consuming and was curious about it, especially because this goes through the USB port.   Since this unit dosn't have a TV tuner built into it, does that mean you can't hook it up directly to a TV and record in real time with the files eventually getting transferred onto the computer, or are you still able to do that?.  Thats the one thing I'm really confused about.  I want to be able to bypass my VCR when recording, and I'm not really interested in a DVD-Recorder right now.  Thanks.

- Steve

Offline Zeus

• I AM Canadian!
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • [S]odbuster
    • View Profile
    • BCCHardware
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2004, 04:28:32 AM »
Welcome to the forum earthslash!

The unit records video in real time.  When capturing, you are able to preview the video full-screen and in real time.  This is true for MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, DivX, and so on.  Once the video is captured to your hard drive, you can then add text, delete commercials, and do other editing functions.

The video processing time varies, depending on the quality of the capture you selected, and how you are converting the file.  It is possible to capture at max quality (DVDHQ), then edit the file however you choose, and save it to a low quality (DivX Portable) format.  This will take a long time as it has to compress the video so much.

If you're not wanting to burn the video to DVD, choose a lower quality capture setting.  It still looks very good, and it will save processing time when editing.  Either way, when you record, you see the video real-time, and it gets transfered to your hard-drive almost real-time.  (It buffers in your system's memory, and writes in blocks to the hard-drive.)

I hope this helps answers some of your questions.  If not, let me know.

Offline earthslash

• BCC n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2004, 10:58:25 AM »
Thank you much, those were the answers I was seeking.   This unit looks like the real deal and i'm thinking about ordering it within the next couple day, still deciding though.  One more thing, does the software let you do record in real-time on a timer or anything like that (set it to record at a certain time), or do you have to click it yourself to start/stop the recording?.  Thanks again.

- Steve

Offline Zeus

• I AM Canadian!
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • [S]odbuster
    • View Profile
    • BCCHardware
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2004, 11:14:29 AM »
Unfortunately it doesn't have VCR options.  You have to start and stop the recording manually.  Unless you know a programmer who can write a script to  execute commands based on your system clock.

Offline earthslash

• BCC n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2004, 01:27:21 PM »
Yeah I sorta figured it wouldn't be able to do that.  I might pick up a TV Tuner card along with this or something, so I can so basic recording on a timer.  I don't watch a ton of TV, but theres a couple shows I want to record while at work.  Anyways I'll let you know if I buy this soon, and give you my impressions of it if I do happen to get it.  Thanks again for the helpful info.

- Steve

Offline Zeus

• I AM Canadian!
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • [S]odbuster
    • View Profile
    • BCCHardware
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2004, 02:16:18 PM »
No problem Steve.  I hope it works as well for you as it has for me.

Offline earthslash

• BCC n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2004, 11:18:38 PM »
A little update... I ordered it from Buy.com and received it in three days for $133.  I found a $10 off $150 for new customers on buy.com, so I ordered a 12' S-Video cable and some DVD-RW discs to get over that amount.  First impressions, quite light and the software seems easy to use.  A lot of options overall, yet a simple format.  I hooked it all up to the TV and it wouldn't work... then I realized after about a half hour or more to hook it up to the satellite dish connectors and the preview to record works.  I'll post more in depth about it if anyone is interested in a second opinion on this unit.  I need to use it more anyways since I just got it today.. but thanks for the helpful comments.  Put me over the top to buy this unit and it looks like it will be pretty cool.

Edit:  Found this on Plextors website:  'With the software’s professional grade features, you can select recording quality, use a countdown recording timer and view real-time encoding playback.'  Sounds like you have to upgrade the software to get the features though.

- Steve
« Last Edit: June 07, 2004, 12:43:15 AM by earthslash »

Offline Zeus

• I AM Canadian!
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • [S]odbuster
    • View Profile
    • BCCHardware
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2004, 04:32:33 AM »
I'm glad it's working for you.

Offline wifi_guru

• BCC n00b
  • Wi-Fi Rules, go 802.11a/b/g
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2004, 09:47:26 PM »
I am strongly considering purchasing this product, but was scared off by things I read in other reviews which I could not verify.

It said that you can only capture a single file and burn it to DVD.  My usage model is pretty simple.  I would like to capture a 3-4 video clips at MPEG-2 HQ and then burn them to a single DVD-R, where each chapter is a different video clip, for playback in a consumer electronics DVD player.  Even nicer, would be if I could have a motion chapter menu, that shows a few second preview of each clip.

I know that the DVD authoring tool is entry-level. but I am also curious as to the specific limitations.  I already own Roxio Easy Media Creator 7.01 and Pinnacle Impression DVD Pro.  I heard that the captured video can only be used by the included software package and cannot be imported into these other, more advanced, DVD authoring tools.  Is this true?

Offline Zeus

• I AM Canadian!
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • [S]odbuster
    • View Profile
    • BCCHardware
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2004, 03:57:52 AM »
Welcome to the Forum WiFi Guru.  As far as burning multiple files to DVD, not true.  The included software allows you to burn multiple files as individual chapters or bunched together.  As far as authoring goes, if you capture the video in MPEG-2 or even DivX, you can use other DVD Authoring software to author the disk.  I've captured video with the ConvertX and used Roxio's DVD Builder to create DVDs - no problem at all.

Motion Chapter menus don't work with WinDVD Creator 2, but you definately can use other tools to author that support motion chapter menus. . . I've done it many times.

I hope this helps.

Offline wifi_guru

• BCC n00b
  • Wi-Fi Rules, go 802.11a/b/g
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2004, 08:42:38 AM »
Thank you Zues, I am placing my order for a PX-M402U today.  I am very happy to hear that this information on multiple video clips and using external DVD tools was not true.  I am looking forward to using it.

Offline Zeus

• I AM Canadian!
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • [S]odbuster
    • View Profile
    • BCCHardware
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2004, 03:16:06 PM »
I'm sure you'll be very happy with it.  I had to buy mine from Plextor to keep in after the review, but it is well worth the money when you need to capture some analog Video.  If you have any more questions when you get it - feel free to post your questions here!