Author Topic: Linux Formatted Hard Drives  (Read 2174 times)

Offline swdswan

• BCC n00b
    • View Profile
    • David Swan Consulting
Linux Formatted Hard Drives
« on: March 02, 2014, 01:22:23 PM »
Recently I was asked to recover a four year old WD Terabyte class HD. It would not hold a Windows partition. I tried a Linux ( ext4 ) partition and the drive has been stable for a week now.

This is not the first time I have reused a HD with Windows partitions ( NT or FAT32 ) with ext3 or 4. As long as there is not a hardware failure, In nearly every case I get a lot more mileage out of the HD. Is this something you or anyone on the BCCHardware team has tried? Is this a valid way to get more use from a HD? ( Yes I have backups and I try hard not to trust recycled HD ).

Just asking.

Dave

Offline Zeus

• I AM Canadian!
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • [S]odbuster
    • View Profile
    • BCCHardware
Re: Linux Formatted Hard Drives
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 09:32:30 PM »
I have never tried this - do you have SMART disable or is the drive getting SMART errors at all? With the price of hard drives as they are right now, I thing for anything other than a project box, you'd best be served with a new drive however.

Offline swdswan

• BCC n00b
    • View Profile
    • David Swan Consulting
Re: Linux Formatted Hard Drives
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 06:16:00 AM »
I have SMART enabled. Reformatting in ext3 or 4 seemed to stabilize the SMART errors. I had a HD with 631 SMART errors that I used in my workstation for a couple of years with no deterioration.

I appreciate what you are saying about replace the HD. That said once I test the HD and it proves stable, it feels a lot like Windows lovers are giving away free HD!  ;D

Dave