Author Topic: AMD CPU - locked/unlocked  (Read 5762 times)

Offline earthslash

• BCC n00b
    • View Profile
AMD CPU - locked/unlocked
« on: May 29, 2004, 09:38:29 PM »
I've heard people talk about some of the AMD Barton Core cpus being locked, and then theres others that are unlocked and easier to overclock.  When they say locked, are they talking about the multiplier thing or the FSB?.  I've been looking around my motherboard BIOS trying to get familiar with things in case I ever need to know.  I've never overclocked and don't plan on doing it until I get good temps at the normal processor speed, but I wanted to know if my 2600+ Barton was locked or unlocked... because I have no clue.  Is there an easy way to check or anything?

- Steve

Offline LobbDogg

• Solder Master
  • and I'm a man who loves his Taffy!
    • View Profile
    • World of Xen
Re: AMD CPU - locked/unlocked
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2004, 05:35:26 AM »
Some of the earlier steppings of the barton chips were unlocked, when they talk about being unlocked, they are talking about the multiplier.  However I think all the bartons now are locked again.  I've been out of the AMD world for a little bit of time, so I could be wrong.
Intel i7 650 | Asus P6TD Deluxe | Geforce 660 GT | 12 GB Patriot PC12800 | Corsair 600watt Modular PSU

Offline Zeus

• I AM Canadian!
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • [S]odbuster
    • View Profile
    • BCCHardware
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2004, 06:04:55 AM »
Anything after week 40 of 2003 is locked.  You can find out what week and year your processor is from the last four digits on the CPU.  

What mobo are you using that you hope will change CPU multipliers?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2004, 06:06:33 AM by Zeus »

Offline bob_dude

• BCC n00b
  • Who dat'?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2005, 07:45:04 PM »
From what I've herd the multiplier is locked no matter what mobo you have. I would like to know of motherboards that have the multiplier unlocked.

Offline Seeker

• Solder Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2005, 07:47:43 PM »
hey zeus that barton that i got off of you did you do alot of study on it??? tell me more, until now i havent really looked at it.. lol
Remember kids, if you happen to find yourself upside down and on fire, you've just discovered the meaning of "too fast".