Author Topic: Plextor PX-M401U - Tape playback suggestions  (Read 3905 times)

Offline Blacklion213

• BCC n00b
    • View Profile
Plextor PX-M401U - Tape playback suggestions
« on: June 14, 2004, 01:34:38 PM »
Please excuse the simple questions, but I am new at this am looking for suggestions.

I have a Plextor PX-M401U and PX-708UF which I plan to use for turning old VHS(VCR) tapes into DVDs. I noticed that hooking up a standard VCR machine to my set up is a bit cumbersome. For me it involves 'STEALING' the family VCR from the livingroom. I was wondering is there a smaller VCR playback machine out there that I can incorporate into my system set up? Also, how do I capture DIGITAL movies, bypassing the ConvertX phase? Is there a software method I am missing with the packaged applications that came with the ConvertX? And finally, is it better to capture to my computer hard drive or capture directly to the DVD burner? Thank you.

Offline Zeus

• I AM Canadian!
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • [S]odbuster
    • View Profile
    • BCCHardware
Re: Plextor PX-M401U - Tape playback suggestions
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2004, 06:57:03 PM »
If I were you, I'd snag a fairly cheap VCR from your local walmart.  There are some pretty small ones that would fit quite comfortably on your desk.

As far as "Digital" movies go, I assume you have a DV camcorder?  You'll hook up the digital video source to your computer and use the WinDVD Creator2 software and it should work seemlessly.  Word of caution though, DV Video streams around 3.5MB/sec to 4.5MB/sec.  You'll need some serious hard drive space.

I hope this helps.  If you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to post.