Author Topic: Leaving job unexpectedly  (Read 6246 times)

Offline LobbDogg

• Solder Master
  • and I'm a man who loves his Taffy!
    • View Profile
    • World of Xen
Leaving job unexpectedly
« on: June 21, 2004, 03:19:21 PM »
Hey all, I've got kind of a dilema here, right now I am working for a place for the summer from End of April to the end of July.  So essentially I really only have about 1 month left working there.  However I may have the opportunity to get a full time temporary job that pays a heck of a lot more money and has a much better chance of staying aboard after the temp term is up.  I really like the job I'm at, and my coworkers are awesome, its been a great learning experience since I've been there.  But if I do get this other job, how should I go about telling the current company I'm with that that day would be my last.(without giving 2 weeks notice).  I don't want to burn any bridges here since I want to use them as a reference.  But this other job could mean a lot more opportunity for me.  Obviously I will take the job if I'm offered it, I just want to know what your opinions are on how I can leave on good terms with at the same time leaving unexpectedly?
Intel i7 650 | Asus P6TD Deluxe | Geforce 660 GT | 12 GB Patriot PC12800 | Corsair 600watt Modular PSU

Offline Zeus

• I AM Canadian!
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • [S]odbuster
    • View Profile
    • BCCHardware
Re: Leaving job unexpectedly
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2004, 08:09:46 PM »
You should really give them two weeks notice.  Even though they may be sore, that is standard protocol, and proper.  If you just bail on them, it shows that you don't respect them.  Give them the respect they deserve, and hopefully they'll respect your honesty.  It'll be hard, but that's the right thing.

Offline LobbDogg

• Solder Master
    • View Profile
    • World of Xen
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2004, 09:07:14 PM »
If I could give 2 weeks I definitely would, however the new job would basically mean that I would be at the current job Friday and the new job Monday.  That is how fast the turn around would be.  I really don't want to do it that way, but I do have to look after myself first in terms of my career.
Intel i7 650 | Asus P6TD Deluxe | Geforce 660 GT | 12 GB Patriot PC12800 | Corsair 600watt Modular PSU

Offline Zeus

• I AM Canadian!
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • [S]odbuster
    • View Profile
    • BCCHardware
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2004, 03:45:07 AM »
Ah, sorry. . . I didn't catch that Friday would be your last.  I'd still let them know as soon as possible though.  Good luck with the new job!

Offline LobbDogg

• Solder Master
    • View Profile
    • World of Xen
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2004, 05:29:28 AM »
I haven't got it yet, but thanks.  ;)

Offline Fujitsu

• JimmyTheKing
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • Nostalgia ain't what it used to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2004, 08:13:54 PM »
All I'd say is don't swipe office supplies when you leave, I wouldn't think they would like that

Hopefully if you explain it to your boss he understands your situation and doesn't freak out about you leaving

Offline VE6JHC

• Case Whacker
  • Heat Removal by H20
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2004, 02:14:21 PM »
You should sit down with your current boss and explain the situation. Ask him if you can leave without the 2 weeks notice but also tell him that you will give him the full 2 weeks if he requires it....anything less is not honourable. If your new boss doesn't understand that then he has no principles and it doesn't seem to be a place that you should work at.
Video Games will send you straight to Hell and Satan has a Rail Gun!

Offline MegaHz

• Solder Master
  • Steam Name : MegaHz
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2004, 06:55:55 AM »
Simply explain it to them like you did to us. make emphasis on the oportunity, and where you are looking to go with it, most of all give them the chance to respond with an offer to keep you, if they can not keep you on with a better deal with just as much room for advancment then apologize. No employer no matter who they are would be mad and not give a reference to someone fresh out of school looking for advancement in a company, especialy if they know that the job they hired you on for is temporary and there is no room for advancement.

Offline Mr. Analyst

• BCC n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2004, 02:31:14 PM »
A buddy of mine in Winnipeg is likely to be accepted for a new job there soon. He may only be able to give a weeks' notice if they want him there that bad. He does not need the stress of more time in the current job - I worked in similar situations and it was like working in a jail. I think it depends on the situation. It would be nice to have a job and leave for a better offer. Actually come to think of it, it would be nice to be suitably employed! All the best, Lobdog - hopefully your luck will rub off on myself very soon!

Offline LobbDogg

• Solder Master
    • View Profile
    • World of Xen
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2004, 06:10:46 PM »
Haha, I wish I had the luck, turned out I didn't get the opportunity I was hoping for.  Oh well.  Life goes on.