5 (21.7%)
FireFox
8 (34.8%)
Lynx
0 (0%)
Other
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: Browser Wars!  (Read 19603 times)

Offline Zeus

• I AM Canadian!
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • [S]odbuster
    • View Profile
    • BCCHardware
Re: Browser Wars!
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2004, 10:25:48 PM »
FireFox is made by Mozilla.  It is simple to configure.  You can go get the whopping 4.5MB download by clicking here.

Offline Mr. Analyst

• BCC n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2004, 10:42:21 PM »
Well, I actually did a search engine and downloaded FoxFire. So far so good. If I at least stick with using this and trying it out for myself, I am sure that it will be an interesting experience. There is also a free filtered e-mail program - since I use two e-mail addresses, it might be worth my while to set up one on that as well, but we'll see about that. It is good to have a couple of browsers to try out and it is good to know that there are other browsers like FireFox that are there for the average consumer like myself. How have others enjoyed using FireFox? It seems to work well with either Windows or Linux from what the web site suggests. What I really like is that it connects me to my Outlook e-mail program directly from the browser. About the only way you can do that in IE is if you select to send a web page by e-mail, but with all these doodads in FireFox, it is sure to continue in popularity! Thanks for the tip!

Offline LobbDogg

• Solder Master
  • and I'm a man who loves his Taffy!
    • View Profile
    • World of Xen
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2004, 12:55:26 PM »
I'm also another supporter of Firefox.  The only thing I've found that it won't do is active x controls.  Some sites require it.  Such as Windows Update.  Also some online virus scanners require Acitve X.  Although by not allowing active X, it is probably helping with security rather than being a big hinderance.
Intel i7 650 | Asus P6TD Deluxe | Geforce 660 GT | 12 GB Patriot PC12800 | Corsair 600watt Modular PSU

Offline Mr. Analyst

• BCC n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2004, 10:20:55 PM »
The only issue is that I use active x files to do my SmartForce studies with Robert Half. Otherwise I can see the issues. There must be a way to change Firefox so that it enables active x's. As well, that the SmartForce web site, only Netscape and IE are supported. So for some things, I will still need to use IE for if I can't avoid it. The other things, I will use Firefox for. I even contacted SmartForce on this to see if and when I can use Firefox so that it enables the required active x files to run. I was able to do so with IE, so I don't anticipate any issues once things are resolved with Firefox.

Offline LobbDogg

• Solder Master
  • and I'm a man who loves his Taffy!
    • View Profile
    • World of Xen
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2004, 06:24:47 AM »
Yeah I hear you Mr. Analyst.  The odd time I use IE for some sites, but my primary browsing consists of Firefox, and with the right extentions it can make the browsing experience really nice.
Intel i7 650 | Asus P6TD Deluxe | Geforce 660 GT | 12 GB Patriot PC12800 | Corsair 600watt Modular PSU

Offline Mr. Analyst

• BCC n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2004, 03:53:37 PM »
Actually I contacted SmartForce and they have plans in the works to include Firefox, but they aren't sure about the details. SO in time I will be able to completely use Firefox over IE. I will see about setting up Foxfire then as my main browser and removing IE's icon from the desktop. We still have it for things that can only be seen with IE, but I am already getting used to Firefox as my browser. I also downloaded Thunderbird as an e-mail program, and I actually prefer it to Microsoft Outlook. I like having my contact names right where I want them because I am forever having to see from my list in Outlook who is in the list and who isn't. For anyone who uses Firefox, be sure to check out Thunderbird! You won't be disappointed, and you don't have to pay Microsoft's exhorbitant costs (although they are coming down slightly in recent upgrades), but when other applications are no charge, you would think that Microsoft would make an effort to come down significantly in price. There's no way you can justify how they set their pricing and tell me that it is worth that much! Even WordPerfect Office is much more affordable, but I would have to sit down and really familiarize myself with Paradox first. Has anyone used WordPerfect Office versions? What do you think of Paradox compared to SQL or Access?

Offline bob_dude

• BCC n00b
  • Who dat'?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2005, 09:03:18 PM »
I personly have found firefox to be the best browser of the bunch. I did have problems veiwing a select few oages with it, but ever since the update I haven't found a one.
P.S. 0 pop-ups and counting

Offline Seeker

• Solder Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2005, 06:07:08 PM »
I'm starting to get some kind of pop unders pop ups but when i goto the bottom to close them down, they not there??
Remember kids, if you happen to find yourself upside down and on fire, you've just discovered the meaning of "too fast".

Offline Access

• Static Discharge
  • Who dat'?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2005, 05:23:37 PM »
Just kind of curious...have all the bugs been cleaned from previous FireFox versions? I am waiting to hear about that and to hear whether my SkillSoft program can be done in FireFox as well. Otherwise, I find myself very happy with IE 6...hopefully IE7 will be better!