Author Topic: Mozilla ?? newbie  (Read 6524 times)

Offline Seeker

• Solder Master
    • View Profile
Mozilla ?? newbie
« on: August 08, 2004, 07:24:07 PM »
Ok I have had enough of EI and installed Mozilla, so far so good any tips that i could look out for?? Seems faster, cleaner take some time to get used to it.
Remember kids, if you happen to find yourself upside down and on fire, you've just discovered the meaning of "too fast".

Offline LobbDogg

• Solder Master
  • and I'm a man who loves his Taffy!
    • View Profile
    • World of Xen
Re: Mozilla ?? newbie
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2004, 09:04:19 PM »
U talking about Firefox?  If so get yourself some extensions, they make the using Firefox that much better, One extension I really like and that I got hooked on with Opera was the mouse gestures.  Also there are some other good ones that you may like.
Intel i7 650 | Asus P6TD Deluxe | Geforce 660 GT | 12 GB Patriot PC12800 | Corsair 600watt Modular PSU

Offline Zeus

• I AM Canadian!
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • [S]odbuster
    • View Profile
    • BCCHardware
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2004, 07:17:16 PM »
I'm more of a fan of FireFox personally.  It's made by the same people but it's a smaller download and faster browser in my opinion.  The latest version of Firefox is 0.9.3.

Offline LobbDogg

• Solder Master
    • View Profile
    • World of Xen
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2004, 05:53:42 AM »
Yeah you should probably look into firefox.  I think you'll like it.  Its of course open source.
Intel i7 650 | Asus P6TD Deluxe | Geforce 660 GT | 12 GB Patriot PC12800 | Corsair 600watt Modular PSU

Offline Mr. Analyst

• BCC n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2004, 03:44:03 PM »
I can see why there are growing lists of fans for Firefox. How secure though is information such as banking passwords on FireFox? I don't mind being able to have passwords entered for me but I am stilll a bit leery if I don't enter them manually myself.

I am just waiting to see when SmartForce will be allowing me to use FireFox for my web browser in my studies. With it using Active X files, would it be similar to IE in terms of having to change some settings so it recognizes I am using an offline browser? Any ideas?

Mr Analyst

Offline LobbDogg

• Solder Master
    • View Profile
    • World of Xen
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2004, 04:30:35 PM »
For any high security sites like banking, I'd prefer to stilll keep my passwords stored in my head rather than on the computer.

But for other joe blow places where security isn't an extreme priority then I use it.

Offline Mr. Analyst

• BCC n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2004, 01:17:23 PM »
I just got word from Mozilla FireFox that exploits two vulnerability issues could pose security risks regarding that and other browsers. The affected software includes versions of Mozilla, Mozilla Firefox, Netscape, Opera, Konqueror, Camino, Avant Browser, and Maxthon. Internet Explorer is not affected

Mozilla Firefox, along with several other tabbed browsers, has been found vulnerable to two security vulnerabilities that could cause users to unintentionally divulge sensitive information to unintended recipients, or cause them to download or execute content for a site other than they intended.
Secunia describes the two discovered vulnerabilities as "Vulnerability A" and "Vulnerability B". In Vulnerability "A", Secunia reports that "It is possible for a inactive tab to spawn dialog boxes e.g. the JavaScript "Prompt" box or the "Download dialog" box, even if the user is browsing/viewing a completely different web site in another tab." According to Secunia researchers, this could lead unsuspected users to react as if the spawned dialog came from the site they were currently viewing, causing them to take action they may not otherwise have taken.

In Vulnerability "B", Secunia researchers report that, "It is possible for a inactive tab to always gain focus on a form field in the inactive tab, even if the user is browsing/viewing a completely different web site in another tab." This could potentially cause sensitive form data to be sent to a non-trusted site or to a site other than the intended site.

To avoid either vulnerability, Secunia recommends users either disable Javascript or avoid visiting untrusted and trusted websites at the same time. 

Check out the Secunia web site at: http://secunia.com/ for more information. If anyone has already dealt with this issue, please enlighten us!

Mr. Analyst