Author Topic: Cheaper to upgrade PC or buy new?  (Read 3896 times)

Offline Mr. Analyst

• BCC n00b
    • View Profile
Cheaper to upgrade PC or buy new?
« on: September 04, 2004, 05:23:28 PM »
We were just in Humbolt, SK today, just over an hour northeast of Saskatoon. There, we stopped in at a computer place where they specialize in custom builds. I am starting to wonder whether it would be cheaper to keep our hard drive and do an upgrade, or whether it would be best to just sell this one cheap and buy brand new. It is the same one we had before, Zeus - a Packard Bell case. We only had the 40 GB hard drive added last year, and the on/off switch was also fixed within the past year or so. We were given an estimate of $400-600 to upgrade if we kept our tower case. All that would need to be done in our case was a new motherboard, complete with 128 AGP for a video card (it appears that this is standard now), and they only install athlon motherboards from what we could see. When they would do the upgrade, they will reinstall everything for us. From what they suggest, we already have an adequate 40 GB hard drive, so that would not be touched. Would 128 MB AGP be lots for games or would we need to jump to 256 right away. We are not yet in a situation to do a complete upgrade, but would it be wiser as tower prices come further down that we upgrade our tower or that we go completely brand new?

Offline Nicao

• Mmm . . . Linux. . .
  • BCC Admin
  • Case Whacker
  • Linux Rocks
    • View Profile
    • S.L.A.G.D.
Re: Cheaper to upgrade PC or buy new?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2004, 05:55:22 PM »
The amount of memory on a video card these days is probably the least important factor in how well it will do for gaming.  You can get a video card with 128MB of memory for $70 or $300 and there is a vast difference between cards.  My recommendation is to check out several reviews of a particular video card before purchasing it.  Personall I would recommend the ATI 9600XT and the Nvidia 5950XT as fairly midrange cards, or the ATI X800 pro and Nvidia 6800GT for a bit more high end.
Life is a toilet.  As soon as you get caught up, someone flushes you again.

Offline MegaHz

• Solder Master
  • Steam Name : MegaHz
    • View Profile
Re: Cheaper to upgrade PC or buy new?
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2004, 02:48:40 PM »
I know I will get flamed, especialy around here, but I'll recomend you what I have.

now I dont know what you have for a processor and ram, so this is just a decent setup for cheap that will handle most games for the next 2 or 3 years.
Keep your current hard drive and cd burner
buy:
AMD Althlong Barton 2600+ Processor
Soltek 75FRN2-L Motherboard (it works and its cheap ok?!?! great overclocker too)
512 MB Samsung PC3200 Ram
Sappire Radeon 9800 Pro  Video Card
Generic case with 300W Powersuply

the only thing you could swap out for a little nicer upgradability in the future would be the mother board, insted of the soltek, go with a ABIT NF7-S2G (adds $30 to the price, but lots more options and gigabit (1000mbps) Network Card

total price for all this brand new at NCIX.com : $632.52 Canadian

just my opinion