Author Topic: Merry Christmas  (Read 6686 times)

Offline FEVER

• Static Discharge
    • View Profile
Merry Christmas
« on: December 10, 2004, 08:49:44 AM »
Well, its been a while since ive been on here, just thought id drop in to wish everyone Happy Holidays, and check on some professional advice. Last time i was in here, i was in the middle of building a system.....well, since my gaming buddy decided he wanted to re-enlist....(Be all he can be, i guess) i picked up his system for cheap.  - eMachines 2.5 celeron. Well, who am i to have a plain ol' system laying around? so after molesting it, its got 1 gig of ddr, and 256k vid, Plexi-panel, a butt-load of zip ties, 3 LED fans with impressive cooling (for a blowdryer), and a cathode.....(so time to upgrade the stock PSU a hundred or so watts). Meanwhile looking for BIOS updates which is a pain enough.......... i needed to ask someone about the processor......the pdf motherboard file on restore disk says something about any upgrades to the processor must be mPGA478 pin.. ???....well, i just stumbled across a 2.8 prescott 533mhz 1mb Hyperthread 478 pin. eMachines site isnt much help, but lists the current processor as 128k F400. would this prescott be compatable? -Dont want to start with the Muuuhaha's just yet til im sure. Any help would be great.  Mery Christmas Guys. ;D

Offline Zeus

• I AM Canadian!
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • [S]odbuster
    • View Profile
    • BCCHardware
Re: Merry Christmas
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2004, 11:24:01 AM »
I would highly, highly doubt that computer is prescott compatible.  Between you and me, you don't want a Prescott anyhow, they run friggin hot!  I touched a case that one was in the other day, and even with the side panel off, it was really warm.  The HSF was too hot to touch.

Grab a P4 2.8A and you'll be happy.

Offline LobbDogg

• Solder Master
  • and I'm a man who loves his Taffy!
    • View Profile
    • World of Xen
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2004, 12:00:13 PM »
I agree with Zeus on this one.  Usually with retail box systems, they don't give you lots of room for upgrade ability.  Get yourself a P4 'A' chip of some sort and you shouldn't have any isssues then.
Intel i7 650 | Asus P6TD Deluxe | Geforce 660 GT | 12 GB Patriot PC12800 | Corsair 600watt Modular PSU

Offline FEVER

• Static Discharge
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2004, 08:31:57 AM »
 Thanks for the replies.....nice to hear from both of ya. Hope everythings been goin well. I see everyone is doing the BF42 thing.....im still stuck on BFV. Maybe time for a switch??
 Well, for reply, i'm pretty much unfamiliar with the intel chips ( is "A" meaning older,"unlocked" P4? ~or~ Socket "A"??)
 I dont want to waste too much of anyones time on this specific motherboard/processor. I'll probably pawn this sys. on my girlfriend or father when i've got $$$ to upgrade. I'm just learning here.
 Anyways, Heres some of the recent frustrations.
 Belkin 4port router(11mbps)(DSL). PROBLEMS! ! !( now a paperweight)..... dumped $150 on Linksys 54mbps 4 port with 2 new 54mbps Linksys wireless cards. PROBLEMS ! ! !(returned)......i guess wireless hasnt caught up with technology....at least when it comes to (gaming)(Flying some treelines in a jet with connection problems is priceless).....so...... Linksys 4 port HARDWIRED router. Aside from 1 or 2 hiccupps, it seems to work ok.
 Next, the BFV patch (1.2 to 1.21) then the case fans and lighting. Next thing i know, i ran into lockups, reboots, and prog. not responding's. Next came the installation of MBM5 to see what was going on with temps and volts. Things seemed to smooth out in the last few weeks......all on their own.  I also came across an unofficial fleMachines site. Seems my MB..... TriGem Imperial 845GV has 400/533 FSB capibilities. I'm sure noone here is interested in the site, but heres this MB's specs anyways  http://www.e4allinc.info/dir1/motherboards/socket478/imperial.htm
  I AM interested in sending some info to the MBM crew on this board. They DO have "TriGem" listed, but a different board, with only 2 sensors listed, and  I've got 4 temp sensors running. Anyone got tips on deciphering the sensor code(s)?

Offline LobbDogg

• Solder Master
  • and I'm a man who loves his Taffy!
    • View Profile
    • World of Xen
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2004, 09:44:04 AM »
The Pentium 4 'A' chip refers to the first P4 chips that were Socket 478.  They have a "400" mhz bus on them.  Really its 100mhz x 4

The Pentium 4 'B' chips refer to the second P4 chips that were Socket 478.  They have a "533" mhz bus on them.  Really its 133mhz x 4

The Pentium 4 'C' chips refer to the third P4 chips that were Socket 478.  They have a "800" mhz bus on them.  Really its 200mhz x 4
Intel i7 650 | Asus P6TD Deluxe | Geforce 660 GT | 12 GB Patriot PC12800 | Corsair 600watt Modular PSU

Offline FEVER

• Static Discharge
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2004, 10:42:01 AM »
So it seems this MB supports 533 FSB, which the highest socket 478 w/533 i found is a pentium 4 3.06 GHz. Im guessing this would work, right?
 Highest socket listed is Pentium 4 3.4 GHz, but this is 800MHz FSB......i'm guessing this would work also...... Except it would be bottlenecked at 533MHz......right? Or am i officially stuck with the Celeron line? Im just reachin for straws here man......lol
« Last Edit: December 15, 2004, 10:44:44 AM by FEVER »

Offline Nicao

• Mmm . . . Linux. . .
  • BCC Admin
  • Case Whacker
  • Linux Rocks
    • View Profile
    • S.L.A.G.D.
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2004, 11:35:41 AM »
I would be very carefull when buying a chip for that motherboard.  First off make absolutely sure that the p4 chip you buy does NOT have 1MB of L2 cache. This would make it a Prescott chip which would certainly not be compatible with your motherboard.  Secondly, even though the 3.06Ghz P4 may be 533fsb it draws quite a bit of power and the emachines board may not be able to power it reliably.  Don't buy an 800fsb chip as you would only be able run it at 533 which would bring the mhz down considerably. (A 3.4Ghz P4 @ 800fsb would only be a 2.26Ghz P4 @ 533 fsb)  Its a very risky proposition trying to upgrade the cpu in an OEM board, unless you can find some documentation that states what chips it supports, or you can find someone with the same board who has tried it, or you have a friend you can borrow a cpu from to try it.  Good luck with your upgrade.
Life is a toilet.  As soon as you get caught up, someone flushes you again.