Author Topic: D-Link Gigabitness Review Posted  (Read 5508 times)

Offline Zeus

• I AM Canadian!
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • [S]odbuster
    • View Profile
    • BCCHardware
D-Link Gigabitness Review Posted
« on: February 04, 2005, 10:02:47 AM »
I've just finished up a whackload of file transfers thanks to some Gigabit Networking gear from D-Link.  We've taken a look at a couple of Gigabit PCI network cards as well as a 5 port 10/100/1000 switch.  If you are considering moving to a Gigabit network at your home or place of business, you'll want to head on over here and check out the review.  This will give you a good idea of the performance you can expect when switching over to a sweet 1000Mbit network.

Here's a clip to get you started:

"Gigabit network is becoming very affordable.  Most motherboard manufacturers are including it onboard as more chipsets support it natively, and some boards even come with two gigabit ethernet connectors.  What it comes down to is performance.  Not all Gigabit is created equal, and as the tests show above, GVC has some upload issues.  Don't be fooled into thinking that 1000Mbit network is 10x faster that 100Mbit however.  PCI congestion and hard drive limitations result in slower network throughput than what is theorectically possible."

I'd appreciate any thoughts, questions and comments right here.

Offline Seeker

• Solder Master
    • View Profile
Re: D-Link Gigabitness Review Posted
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2005, 08:14:28 PM »
good read for sure, one question are things just going to get bigger?? Bigger drives, are they gearing this to the home theater crowd?? I dont see the internet able to use this for a long time, (average user). But the prices seem good for a setup. Could the game makers of today, make games that would use this speed?? By the sounds of it looks like to your review the hard drives have a hard time to keep up. Lots of questions out there i think.
Remember kids, if you happen to find yourself upside down and on fire, you've just discovered the meaning of "too fast".

Offline Zeus

• I AM Canadian!
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • [S]odbuster
    • View Profile
    • BCCHardware
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2005, 05:43:42 AM »
Gigabit networks are geared toward local area networks that require large file transfers or a lot of users connecting to one machine.  To take full advantage of multiple users, the server computer would need several SCSI drives in a RAID 0 array.  No, the iternet will never likely need these speeds (at least not WildRose), and game makers likely won't make games that require a faster connection that what the internet can provide.  Gigabit is for Local Area Networks and fast file transfers and even streaming media.

Offline Seeker

• Solder Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2005, 11:59:40 AM »
So really this is a new play toy geared towards the htpc. Do you think that the average person is going in this direction, i know faster is sometimes better but putting a 502 big block chevy in a chevette is fun, but does the ppl of today need this??  Im like the idea of the streaming media for sure, nothing like the buffering you get on some stuff, actually this home theater pc stuff and this 100/1000 has got me thinking. one little box upstairs and get rid of the outdated reciever,cd deck, dvd,vhs.....hmmmmmmm thanks alot.... 2 terabytes of movies 200 gigs of mp3's that could hurt the "other markets" denon, pioneer,harmon,etc. Run a parry for days lol

thanks on the info...now can i ask the wife... ;)
Remember kids, if you happen to find yourself upside down and on fire, you've just discovered the meaning of "too fast".

Offline Fujitsu

• JimmyTheKing
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • Nostalgia ain't what it used to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2005, 03:25:51 PM »
had one of these for a while now, unfortunately haven't had a chance to hook it up at 1000 base yet.... oh well I needed a card and it was only like 10 bucks more