Author Topic: Samsung YH-820 Review Posted!  (Read 19732 times)

Offline Zeus

• I AM Canadian!
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • [S]odbuster
    • View Profile
    • BCCHardware
Samsung YH-820 Review Posted!
« on: February 19, 2005, 06:53:21 AM »
We've just finished taking a look at a 5GB mini-HDD based Digital Audio player from Samsung.  This unit is the YH-820, and it's small, stylish, and can display pictures on a color screen.  Just when you thought you 512MB flash-based MP3 player was cool . . . Check out the review here and see if iPod has anything to worry about.  This one's got my vote!

"You can pick up 1GB flash-based devices for less that $300CDN.  But what if you want more?  Mini Hard Drive players have traditionally been very expensive.  Apple started it all with their original iPod, and have gained popularity with all of their different models.  Today, Samsung enters the mini HDD digital audio player market with the YH-820.  This beauty holds 5GB's of data and can not only play back MP3, WMA and more, it can also display your digital photos, and act as an external hard drive!"

As always, any thoughts, comments and questions are welcome!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2005, 07:28:20 PM by Zeus »

Offline reedracer

• BCC n00b
  • Who dat'?
    • View Profile
Re: Samsung YH-820 Review Posted!
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2005, 04:57:13 PM »
I'm sold! Didn't even know about this one until I went by Best Buy today to look at the Creative Zen and saw one of these in an open box for $189!  I'm wondering about the battery.  ???  Is it user replaceable?

Offline Zeus

• I AM Canadian!
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • [S]odbuster
    • View Profile
    • BCCHardware
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2005, 05:02:30 PM »
As far as I can tell, probably not.  There are a couple of screws on the back of the unit that will let you open it (I didn't as I like to review stuff, and not get banned).  The unit is Lithium Ion or Lithium Polymer so it should be good for many years.  I'm sure you'll like the unit, especially if you like syncing with WMP.

Offline Seeker

• Solder Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2005, 06:07:20 PM »
Ya im kinda looking for somthing too 256, for lots of songs drag to mp3 simple stuff and not small enough to lose and able to be run over lol..
Remember kids, if you happen to find yourself upside down and on fire, you've just discovered the meaning of "too fast".

Offline reedracer

• BCC n00b
  • Who dat'?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2005, 09:02:49 PM »
 I'm sure you'll like the unit, especially if you like syncing with WMP.
Coolness.  The battery would be the only thing the Zen Micro has on it.  I didn't like the menuing or buttons on the Zen.  I'm wanting to do some ad-hoc podcasting with it, so the line in is a big plus.  Just have to pry that tax return from my wife's hands.

Offline MegaHz

• Solder Master
  • Steam Name : MegaHz
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2005, 10:11:20 PM »
Seeker, check these out, they are probably my favorite MP3 player in the under 1 GB class. On top of a sleek design and FM radio capabilities, it also doubles as a USB flash drive, something that everyone should have. They come in a few different sizes, I belive 128,256 and 512 MB.

128 MB http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&dept=19&sku_id=0665000FS10050702&catid=10205&newdeptid=19
256 MB http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&dept=19&sku_id=0665000FS10050701&catid=10205&newdeptid=19
512 MB http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&dept=19&sku_id=0665000FS10052802&catid=10205&newdeptid=19

the 512 MB is by far the best bang for the buck at $159 as far as this line goes.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2005, 10:17:32 PM by SoltoN »

Offline Seeker

• Solder Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2005, 02:33:07 PM »
Kool thanks, ill check it out.  Some of these big files that i get sometimes might be better to go to d-mans to get them..
Remember kids, if you happen to find yourself upside down and on fire, you've just discovered the meaning of "too fast".

Offline MegaHz

• Solder Master
  • Steam Name : MegaHz
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2005, 04:55:23 PM »
And dont mind me using the Futureshop site as a reference, I work there so I know where to find things quick on the site.

we all know not to buy comps there :)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2005, 04:55:59 PM by SoltoN »

Offline reedracer

• BCC n00b
  • Who dat'?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2005, 07:22:45 AM »
Okay, I've had this a day now. Some further observations.

• It is everything you said it was, Ben. Tight interface, great sound quality, excellent recording, the multimedia studio rocks (and you can dowlnload it from the Samsung site if you don't believe me), smaller than the Zen Micro and iPod mini with more features than either!
  • They need to offer a straight USB cable for sync'ing while traveling
  • If you connect to the computer with the USB cable and do not connect the power cord, the screen backlight remains lit the whole time greatly shortening the battery life.
  • While it sports the "Plays for Sure" logo, there are limits.  If you purchase DRM music from a non-Napster store, like Wal-Mart, you have to import it to Napster before transferring it to the device.  Windows Media Player 10 asolutely refuses to transfer DRM files to the unit.
  • I can't tell if it will work with Napster to Go's $15 a month unlimited subscription service, although it should.  Probably the unit is too new to be listed.
  • For Samsung's Yepp line to be so in bed with Napster there sure ain't much on the Napster site to acknowledge this relationship.  Seems to be rather one-sided.  Again, this may be due to the relationship being so new.
I've contacted Samsung USA about some of these things, but, as you can see, none of them are show stoppers.  I truly feel this is the best 4-6 Gb minidrive MP3 player on the market. (And  BCC Got the Scoop on the Universe!   as this was the only in-depth review I could find for the YH-820MC as of 3-11-2005.

Thanks, Zeus!

Offline Zeus

• I AM Canadian!
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • [S]odbuster
    • View Profile
    • BCCHardware
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2005, 08:29:31 AM »
Thanks.  I couldn't cover everything, and I don't use Napster.  Never have, never will so that was hard to test.  I also don't buy or download music online.  I have a very extensive CD collection that I've ripped to a music server.  Thanks again for your support!

Offline cmonkey

• BCC n00b
  • Who dat'?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2005, 04:21:38 PM »
Just got this unit.

napster sux.

Drag you music (with correct tags populated for album, artist, etc) to the MUSIC folder.

Run the utility that rebuilds the player's database.

:)

Offline Zeus

• I AM Canadian!
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • [S]odbuster
    • View Profile
    • BCCHardware
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2005, 04:23:50 PM »
Just got this unit.

napster sux.

Drag you music (with correct tags populated for album, artist, etc) to the MUSIC folder.

Run the utility that rebuilds the player's database.

:)
I agree about Napster. . . WMP is not much better.  Is the utility included on the CD?  That sucks that I missed that.  It would've made my life easier while using the unit.  Thanks for the feedback, and welcome to the forum!

Offline cmonkey

• BCC n00b
  • Who dat'?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2005, 04:54:48 PM »
It is from the install cd.  The option is labled driver and utilities.
Creates a program folder called Samsung YH-820.  The program is called "Recovery Utility."

I tested it with one CD that I already had ripped plus one random track.
It sorted them into the album and such after running the program and
selecting the "Rebuild Library" function.

I am currently testing it with a _large_ amount of files.

Thanks for the welcome.

Offline a.k.a Batfink

• BCC n00b
  • The thin line between genius & insanity
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2005, 11:47:29 AM »
I came across this review after searching high and low for information regarding the YH-820 i just brought and found it very helpful indeed. I just have one question though, the shuffle function you mention...i can't seem to find it anywhere in the playing options  ???

Also, cmonkey.....how'd the rebuild go with a larger data file?

Thanks
 8)

Offline Zeus

• I AM Canadian!
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • [S]odbuster
    • View Profile
    • BCCHardware
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2005, 03:38:02 PM »
I don't have the unit in front on me any longer as I had to send it back to Samsung.  I believe the setting should be in a menu under the "Settings" area, or it could be a function of the Record/Loop Button on the side.  It's been a while so forgive me that I forget.  If you complain to Samsung, I may be able to get it back and keep it!  ;D