Author Topic: Need help with an evil virus  (Read 6575 times)

Offline anti-air_grenade

• Static Discharge
  • So.. you like... stuff?
    • View Profile
Need help with an evil virus
« on: May 05, 2005, 04:24:51 PM »
Earlier my cousin accidentaly got a virus on her computer. Suddenly it sent me an automated message on msn with a link... i accidentaly clicked on the link and got the virus. I don't know to much about this virus other than it is not noticed by most virus scanners, it sends automated messages on msn, and it stops a lot of programs from starting. I have tried searching it on the net with no success because there are some similar viruses to it with procedures that didn't work, or i had to buy some program before they'd give me information. My cousin told me that some one at her worked removed it for her but she didn't pay attention so she wasn't able to help me. I was wondering if some one on here could help me. Some stuff that may help are screensaver.scr (file the installed the vrus), http://checkthis.100mbitde.info/ (the site it came from), w32 kelvir or just kelvir (part of what i think the virus name is). please help... be much appreciated.

Offline Zeato

• Static Discharge
  • My money is on the cat
    • View Profile
Re: Need help with an evil virus
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2005, 05:12:13 PM »
Ya I've had a few of my friend's send me a msn message out of the blue with this exact thing...I however lucked out and didn't end up clicking it.  I guess it sometimes pays to ignore some people on your msn list.  As for help with it, I'll email my friends who had it on theirs and see what they did to clear it off...my bet though is that they probably still have it on their computer as well, they probably don't know its a virus.
--7 days without pizza is a week

Offline Fujitsu

• JimmyTheKing
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • Nostalgia ain't what it used to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2005, 05:15:13 PM »
You've got the ever so popular Kelvir virus

I've never tried to remove it personally, but this site should help you out
http://www.sarc.com/avcenter/venc/data/pf/w32.kelvir.aw.html

Offline Fujitsu

• JimmyTheKing
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2005, 05:17:08 PM »
and here is the removal tool
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.kelvir.removal.tool.html

actually I'm not 100% sure if this tool will work since it looks like you've got the kelvir.aw virus, but I guess its worth a try
« Last Edit: May 05, 2005, 05:20:52 PM by Fujitsu »

Offline anti-air_grenade

• Static Discharge
  • So.. you like... stuff?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2005, 07:01:14 PM »
Well... i managed to get it to stop sending the messages and to stop my computer from crashing by creating a new log in on the computer so i was able to try those out. the first guide i have a problem with because i don't have norton or mcafee or anything... i have a few anti spy-ware programs and up til now they have stopped all of my viruses. i gave the scanner a try and it didn't work either. i might have some one have a look at my computer but thanks though.

Offline Fujitsu

• JimmyTheKing
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2005, 07:02:50 PM »
you really need to get a virus scanner, otherwise this will just come back on you